VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
May is a wonderful month for your garden, and with our handy guide we have laid it all out for you… Spring is fully underway. There should be no more frosts and the temperature is steadily getting warmer, which is bliss for your garden. With more sunshine, your plants should get stronger and healthier …Read more...
How to get your offer accepted when you find the perfect property in a busy seller’s market The property market is booming. There are a lot more buyers than sellers, which has pushed the price up, alongside the competition, when it comes to purchasing your dream home. But there are steps you can take …Read more...
Now’s the time to think about your home’s decor They say a change is as good as a rest. And although there will be no respite when it comes to actually getting down to do it, there can be no doubt that, once finished, a home makeover is good for the soul. The dilemma …Read more...
On Friday, the government announced which countries are on which list for travel this summer From 17 May, people in England will be allowed to take holidays abroad in a small number of countries. On Friday, Grant Shapps announced which countries are in which category for travel starting next Monday. The countries have been …Read more...
Celebrate World Bee Day later this month, with this wonderfully sticky honey recipe Honey-roast confit of duck Serve your carrots with this wonderful French classic with meltingly tender meat with crispy skin. Ingredients 3 thyme sprigs , leaves roughly chopped 2-3 rosemary sprigs, leaves roughly chopped 2 fat garlic cloves , lightly bashed ½ tsp black peppercorns 4 duck leg (about …Read more...