VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
Chancellor making preparations to extend the stamp duty holiday until the end of June With the deadline of the stamp duty holiday approaching, Chancellor Rishi Sunak has been drawing up plans to extend it for a further three months until the end of June. The move will benefit those with purchases still going through, …Read more...
Stamp Duty holiday to be extended until the end of June Great news for buyers today as Rishi Sunak is set to announce an extension of the Stamp Duty Holiday. The extension will run until the end of June and will come as a relief to those with purchases going through and will surely prompt …Read more...
Are you struggling to keep your motivation up working from home? Here are some helpful tips to keep you at your best. A lot of us have been working at home for nearly a year now. Some are lucky and have a natural motivation, while others may struggle, perhaps without other people in the …Read more...
Buyer demand and house prices rising and new properties coming to the market are expected to rise in line with the schools going back The latest study by Rightmove shows that demand from buyers is growing, with numbers so far this year way ahead of last year, however, buyer demand is outstripping new supply. …Read more...
Light at the end of the tunnel, as Boris Johnson announces ‘Roadmap” out of Lockdown which could mean a return to normality in 118 days Yesterday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced the “roadmap” for easing restrictions in England and finally coming out of this long winter lockdown. The long-term aim is to lift all …Read more...